The Ultimate SEO Checklist [2018 Edition]
Want to get more traffic, links and shares of your website content? Get my free 25-Point SEO Checklist, updated for 2018!
I'll walk you through:
- 1Does your site have a unique email address?
- 2Is Google Analytics installed?
- 3Is Google Search Console installed?
- 4Is Bing Webmaster Tools installed?
- 5If your site is built with WordPress, do you have an SEO plugin like Yoast or SEO Ultimate installed?
- 6Check Google Search Console for crawl errors.
- 7Run a crawl of your site using the Screaming Frog SEO Spider. Look for 302 redirects, 404 not found and any other technical errors.
- 8Use the crawl report to identify pages that are missing title tags or meta descriptions.
- 9Check the crawl report to find pages with title tags that are over 65 characters long.
- 10Check the crawl report to find pages with meta descriptions over 160 characters long.
- 11Check the crawl report to find pages that are missing or duplicate H1 and H2 tags.
- 12Is there enough search engine friendly text on your main web pages? There should be at least 250 words of content on these pages, for search engines to understand the topic and context in relation to the other pages on the site.
- 13Check your crawl report again. Are there any images that are missing ALT tags? These should be a brief description of what the image is.
- 14Do the main pages of the site include links to other pages of the website?
- 15Are you contributing valuable content to blogs within your industry?
- 16Check siteliner.com to find duplicate content within your site.
- 17Make sure the URLs on your site are short and organized in relevant subfolders.
- 18How’s your site speed? Check it with the Google PageSpeed Insights tool.
- 19Have you created an XML sitemap? Use XML-sitemaps.com or the Google XML Sitemaps WordPress plugin.
- 20Submit your XML sitemap to Google Search Console and Bing Webmaster Tools.
- 21Does your website have a Robots.txt file?
- 22If you have a local business, have you claimed it in Google Maps?
- 23Have you created a Robots.txt file and submitted it in Google and Bing Webmaster Tools?
- 24How does your website look on mobile devices? Use this Google tool to test it.
- 25How does brand rank in Google and Bing for its own name? Any negative reviews or bad press that may need an ORM campaign to clean up?